Tuesday, July 17, 2012

toddler snack: fruity mix rice bars

My obsession for a crispy, chewy, fruity snack started a week ago when I was stuck out-and-about without my bag of emergency food. Harry was giving me the warning cough-turn-squeal and getting all snakey in the pram, so I legged it to Woolies and bought him these 12month+ muesli bar thingies. Of course they were delicious and he was munching away very happily, but they were also so ridiculously overpriced and full of who-knows-what. You know what i'm like.

These are so fab, If you try them please let me know how they turn out.

Ingredients 

1/4 cup butter
4 tbs honey
3 tbs apple juice (ora apple sauce)
1 cup quick oats
1/3 cup Rice Bubbles (Rice Krispies)
3 tbs desiccated coconut
1/4 cup raisins (or a dried fruit mix i.e. cranberry/apricot/raisins)
1/4 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds (optional)
1/4 tsp salt

Method 

1/ Pre-heat oven to 170oC and line a 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper

2/ In a medium saucepan melt butter and honey over a low heat. Once melted set aside to cool

3/ Put the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add the cooled honey mixture and stir to combine

4/ Transfer the mixture into the pre-prepared tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the centre is just firm

5/ Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Mark the bars with a sharp knife but don't ct completely (or they will fall apart). Once completely cool you can remove from the tin and slice. Store in an airtight container


1 comment:

  1. Mine are falling apart. What did I do wrong? Should I refrigerate them? Freeze? I haven't cut them yet.

    ReplyDelete