Friday, March 2, 2012

baby & toddler food: pumpkin bacon risotto

This was my first attempt at a risotto for Harry. The thing I love about this is you don't have to slave over a hot stove ladling the afternoon away, in fact you aren't anywhere near the stove, because you use the oven. So simple.

Harry has been eating different variations of this risotto (he prefers the risotto balls) since he was 9 months old. Feel free to add some of your child's favourite vegetables or cooked chicken, it's a very flexible recipe.

Ingredients 

2 tbs organic butter
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
3 rashers of bacon, finely chopped
200g mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
4 1/2 cups salt reduced chicken stock (or make your own)
2 cups butternut pumpkin, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated cheese

Method 

1/ Preheat oven to 190oC.

2/ Melt butter in a frypan and sauté onion, bacon and mushrooms until bacon is cooked through.

3/ Combine all ingredients (except cheese) in a casserole dish. Stir to combine.

4/ Bake, uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until all stock is absorbed (it will continue to absorb on cooling).

5/ Stir through cheese.

Tip: Turn this into finger food by rolling into small risotto balls.

Note: If freezing in small containers, add a few tablespoons of water to each portion. More water may need to be added when reheating. 




11 comments:

  1. This looks great, I cannot wait to try it!

    Mel and Poppi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good Mel, I couldn't stop eating it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allie, I made this last night & gave to mase today for lunch. It was a hit... & I loved it too! I rolled into balls & froze so it is a handy lunch/ dinner. Except I made really big balls, should've made them small as I need to help him eat it...

    Next I would like to see some exotic singaporian dishes on the menu for our bubs :))

    Jade & mason xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie, just made this recipe, in is in the over, smells great cant wait to try it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, fingers crossed it is a success for you :) x

      Delete
  5. Hi Allie, I made this dish tonight, but I used Campbells salt reduced chicken stock. (As I didn't have time to make the stock). I found the 1st bite tasted amazing! But then it had a funny after taste. Do you think it may have been the chicken stock I used? Do you need to wash the Arborio rice? I am trying so hard to cook your recipes, but there is always something a bit wrong that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there :) I have no idea why it would have tasted funny it sounds like you did everything right! No need to wash the rice. Did you stir through the cheese? Come and join us at our new site, www.onehandedcooks.com.au :) Allie x

      Delete
  6. Dear Allie,
    I am not sure about Arborio rice, can I use normal white rice instead? and the rice is pre-cooked?
    Thanks.
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ash, Sorry I missed your comment, we have moved our blog to www.onehandedcooks.com.au please come and take a look for new recipes. You could use white rice, or try brown as it will be sticker like arborio. The texture might be a bit different but you should still get a nice dish. Hope that helps, Allie x

      Delete
  7. This looks yum. What are the reheating instructions? Always worried about reheating rice!!! Also can i bake and then roll into balls? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks yum. What are the reheating instructions? Always worried about reheating rice!!! Also can i bake and then roll into balls? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete