Sunday, July 22, 2012

baby & toddler food: tomato and eggplant spaghetti


Harry just loves pasta, and I wanted to introduce him to eggplant, so I thought a nice tomato eggplant pasta would do the trick. You can really introduce eggplant around 8-10 months but I just haven't gotten around to it as we don't eat it that often - unless we get the miso eggplant at our favourite japanese place, nomnomnom. 


Please excuse the crappy photo, I am sicky mc sick sick at the moment, I promise this is delicious. The tomato sauce is rich, so you really don't need much for kids.

Ingredients

(Serves approximately 4)  

2 tbs olive oil
1/2 brown onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 X 400g can diced tomatoes
½ tsp balsamic vinegar

½ tsp brown sugar
1/4 eggplant, finely diced 
1/2 cup cheese 
200g spaghetti 

Method


1/ Heat oil in a saucepan over medium and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened.  

2/ Add the remaining ingredients (except the spaghetti), cover with a lid and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced. 

3/ While sauce is cooking, bring a large sauce pan of water to the boil.  Add the spaghetti and cook according to the packet directions. 

4/ Drain spaghetti and top with sauce and cheese.

Tip: You could very simply add some meatballs  or browned mince to this recipe, but it was vegetarian night here. Next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment