We've moved. Please see this recipe on our new blog HERE. And join us on our Facebook page for other foodie bits and pieces.
After a big cook up, I always find myself with a few cups of leftover rice. Today was no different, so I made these little bite sized crispy-pieces-of-goodness. I made them two ways, one with breadcrumbs and one without. Both were nice so if you need a gluten free option just leave out the breadcrumbs.
Harry had these for dinner and loved them.
Ingredients
1 cup cooked rice (I used brown)
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/3 cup corn kernels
1/3 cup frozen peas
1 carrot, grated
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
1 egg
2 tbs olive oil
For crust
1 cup breas crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Method
1/ Steam or boil sweet potato, peas and corn until soft. Use a fork to mash the sweet potato. Set aside
2/ In a small fry pan heat 1 tsp olive oil. Add onion and carrot, lightly fry until soft. Set aside
3/ In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, bread crumbs, egg, cheese. Add all vegetables and stir until well combined
4/ Take large tablespoons full of mixture and mould into small patties. Dip each patty into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Continue with remaining mixture
5/ Heat remaining oil in a large frypan over medium. Lightly fry the patties for a few minutes on each side. Remove and drain on a paper towel
Please come and join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
After a big cook up, I always find myself with a few cups of leftover rice. Today was no different, so I made these little bite sized crispy-pieces-of-goodness. I made them two ways, one with breadcrumbs and one without. Both were nice so if you need a gluten free option just leave out the breadcrumbs.
Harry had these for dinner and loved them.
Ingredients
1 cup cooked rice (I used brown)
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/3 cup corn kernels
1/3 cup frozen peas
1 carrot, grated
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
1 egg
2 tbs olive oil
For crust
1 cup breas crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Method
1/ Steam or boil sweet potato, peas and corn until soft. Use a fork to mash the sweet potato. Set aside
2/ In a small fry pan heat 1 tsp olive oil. Add onion and carrot, lightly fry until soft. Set aside
3/ In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, bread crumbs, egg, cheese. Add all vegetables and stir until well combined
4/ Take large tablespoons full of mixture and mould into small patties. Dip each patty into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Continue with remaining mixture
5/ Heat remaining oil in a large frypan over medium. Lightly fry the patties for a few minutes on each side. Remove and drain on a paper towel
Please come and join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.


I keep trying to get my twins to eat rice with no success (one has a few sensory issues and always gags on it!)Perhaps these might work...they look great!
ReplyDeleteTry these and the veggie rice slice, that was a really nice one too :) GL let me know how you go x
DeleteIv been blending the rice before adding to dishes.... Their throats may not b ready for the rice pieces yet....
ReplyDeleteSounds good Candice. When Harry was younger I gave the rice a few blasts with the blender to break it up a bit, but I found If I pureed completely it would go gluggy. Enjoy x
DeleteHi Allie...i just had to come back and tell you that these were a great success with one of my girls tonight! I modified the recipe a little but i was overwhelmed to see my little sensory challenged twin actually nibbling then biting into these little morsels! Finally i had a win...she has never eaten rice in anything before (apart from dessert creamed rice!)without gagging so i am over the moon! I made little fingers as she tends to pick up things shaped that way with more confidence....thanks so much, i can't wait to try out more of your recipes...i hope you don't mind me doing a blog post or two about them...i shall certainly link to you!!!Going to try the rice slice next! Thanks again for sharing x
ReplyDeleteHi Jode, what fantastic feedback thank you for taking the time to write :) Of course you can share the recipe, I will have to check out your blog too x
Delete