I am on a mission to make some delicious (and healthy) finger food treats for Harry. The bland rusks are being ditched over the side of the pram faster than I can buy them. These are simple, healthy, and you probably have all the ingredients in the pantry.
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wholemeal/plain flour
3/4 cup dried fruit, finely chopped (I used cranberries and raisins)
1/2 overripe banana
1/2 grated apple
2 tbsp wheat germ (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten*
1 tsp honey (optional for over 12 months)
*This has been tested without egg, children with egg allergies can enjoy these too.
Method
1/ Preheat oven to 180.
2/ Combine all ingredients in a bowl, hand mix with a fork until well combined.
3/ Pour into a slice tin and bake for around 45minutes or until firm to touch.
4/ Cool, and cut into bite sized fingers. Freeze individually.
Please come and join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wholemeal/plain flour
3/4 cup dried fruit, finely chopped (I used cranberries and raisins)
1/2 overripe banana
1/2 grated apple
2 tbsp wheat germ (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten*
1 tsp honey (optional for over 12 months)
*This has been tested without egg, children with egg allergies can enjoy these too.
Method
1/ Preheat oven to 180.
2/ Combine all ingredients in a bowl, hand mix with a fork until well combined.
3/ Pour into a slice tin and bake for around 45minutes or until firm to touch.
4/ Cool, and cut into bite sized fingers. Freeze individually.
Please come and join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.

I just made these this morning and my 11 month old devoured three big fingers of it!!
ReplyDeleteDo you mind if I write about it on my foodie blog (www.homemademumma.com)? I will of course link back to you :-)
Hi homemademumma - if that is your real name, hahaha... of course you can write about it on your blog, and you're more than welcome to use the picture too if you need. I look forward to reading it.
DeleteOh and I am very happy to hear your little one loved the oat bars. Next you must try the fruity rice bars, they are a bit harder, but so delicious.
Allie x
Can I just reiterate how much I (and my munchkin) love this recipe?! She devours it and it's so healthy! :-)
DeleteI finally got around to writing it up on my blog (and I also consolidated my blogging efforts, so it's on my main blog now :-)). I made a bit of a variation on the recipe to include baby cereal for iron-enriched goodness :-)
http://lifeaftertwobluelines.com/2012/08/19/babytoddler-recipe-oaty-cereal-bars/
Love your recipes!
Emily :-)
Stamping this receipe "Elwood approved". He couldn't get enough of it and I ♥ that we won't be buying the expensive baby snack food bars anymore.
ReplyDeleteOh and these are so much better for him! I <3 this comment ;) x
DeleteI didn't have a banana so I used pumpkin puree and my 9 month old LOVED these :) Great recipe!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! .....Pumpkin spice bars, I am onto it. x
DeleteYum, yum! Just made these for the 2nd time using dried apricots, sultanas and craisins! Also snuck in a tablespoon of honey. Really nice and so much better than the muesli bars I was buying for my daughter. Thanks Allie!
ReplyDeleteJodie you and I are twinnies, just this morning I made the identical version, and added honey as the original was for babies but now Harry is over 12 months I could add it. They were great. Enjoy x
DeleteMr 2 loves these "cakes"! I didn't have dried fruit so left it out and added a tablespoon of peanut butter. I was worried the mixture was too runny but it cooked up fine. It's nice and chewy and he loves them. Now to try Mr 8 months on them too!
ReplyDeleteLove hearing all the variations! Hope he likes them too :) Allie x
DeleteHow long are these good for? Do they freeze well? I'm sure my 16 month old will LOVE these!
ReplyDelete