Please join us at our new blog to see this recipe here and like the facebook page to keep up to date on the latest recipe and nutrition information.
I have a few friends whose babies are allergic to gluten. They find it really hard to find/bake tasty finger foods for their children. So I did a bit of research and found this amazing grain and flour called quinoa. And it is not just for those searching for a gluten free option, this stuff is wonderful.
Here's a few reasons why you need to rush out and get some:
- it is gluten free
- a 'super food' very high in vitamins
- easy to prepare
- superior source of non-animal protein (perfect for vegetarians)
- digests gradually, a 'good' carbohydrate
- full of fibre, iron and calcium - key components for a healthy baby's nutrition
- the perfect 'first food' for babies as it has far superior nutritional benefits than rice
- can contribute to a healthy pregnancy, developing baby and breast milk
- cooks in half the time of rice
One more tip; it's pronounced "keen-wah" - so you can avoid the eye rolling that I copped when I asked the health food assistant for "quin-oh-ahh". Embarrassing.
Ingredients
Makes 24 nuggets
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup quinoa (white grain)
500g chicken mince (or finely chopped chicken)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (packet, fresh or gluten free)
1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup finely grated cheese
1/2 cup cooked broccoli
3 tbs butter, melted (optional)
Method
1/ Preheat the oven to 200oC and line a tray with baking paper.
2/ In a small saucepan bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the saucepan on the hot plate for another 5 - 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool.
3/ In a medium bowl, combine the minced chicken, quinoa, and broccoli. Mix to combine. In a separate bowl combine the breadcrumbs, cheese and herbs.
4/ Using your hands, create tablespoon sized balls (1 cm thick) and dip in the breadcrumbs. Place the balls on the baking tray and gently squash to flatten into a nugget shape. Brush with butter (if using).
5/ Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, then turn each nugget and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and nuggets are brown.
Tip: try these with turkey mince, or vegetables for something different.
Please come and join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.
I have a few friends whose babies are allergic to gluten. They find it really hard to find/bake tasty finger foods for their children. So I did a bit of research and found this amazing grain and flour called quinoa. And it is not just for those searching for a gluten free option, this stuff is wonderful.
Here's a few reasons why you need to rush out and get some:
- it is gluten free
- a 'super food' very high in vitamins
- easy to prepare
- superior source of non-animal protein (perfect for vegetarians)
- digests gradually, a 'good' carbohydrate
- full of fibre, iron and calcium - key components for a healthy baby's nutrition
- the perfect 'first food' for babies as it has far superior nutritional benefits than rice
- can contribute to a healthy pregnancy, developing baby and breast milk
- cooks in half the time of rice
One more tip; it's pronounced "keen-wah" - so you can avoid the eye rolling that I copped when I asked the health food assistant for "quin-oh-ahh". Embarrassing.
Ingredients
Makes 24 nuggets
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup quinoa (white grain)
500g chicken mince (or finely chopped chicken)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (packet, fresh or gluten free)
1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup finely grated cheese
1/2 cup cooked broccoli
3 tbs butter, melted (optional)
Method
1/ Preheat the oven to 200oC and line a tray with baking paper.
2/ In a small saucepan bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the saucepan on the hot plate for another 5 - 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool.
3/ In a medium bowl, combine the minced chicken, quinoa, and broccoli. Mix to combine. In a separate bowl combine the breadcrumbs, cheese and herbs.
4/ Using your hands, create tablespoon sized balls (1 cm thick) and dip in the breadcrumbs. Place the balls on the baking tray and gently squash to flatten into a nugget shape. Brush with butter (if using).
5/ Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, then turn each nugget and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and nuggets are brown.
Tip: try these with turkey mince, or vegetables for something different.
Please come and join us on Facebook for other foodie bits and pieces.

I'm going to make these today I'll have to let you know how I go!
ReplyDeleteOh yes please do, I hope they are a success :) x
DeleteThey were absolutely delicious! I have never used Quinoa before, so Im not sure if I used the white grain or not, but it tasted great. I did not brush with butter when I baked my first lot and they didn't brown so as a result I overcooked them. Then I decided to shallow fry the next batch (kids getting hungry!) and they turned out to be fantastic - my 2 little boys, and one big boy ate them all! I also doubled the amount of Quinoa used because I misread your recipe initially but I think it just added to the texture and taste. Is it OK with you if I put a pic on my blog and link to your recipe? Thanks again Allie! Emma:)
ReplyDeleteOh yay I am so glad they worked out :) Thanks for letting me know, yes you can blog the recipe, I will keep my eyes peeled for it. Allie x
DeleteWhere abouts is the quinoa in the supermarket? I asked a worker at Franklins and he had never heard of it? If you don't have quinoa should you use something else instead? Or just leave it out. Am thinking of making these today, but have no quinoa.
ReplyDeleteHi,
DeleteI haven't made these without quinoa but I think you could use either rice or couscous instead. I buy mine from the health food section in Woolworths. So either look in the healthfood section at franklins or you might have to try another store. All the best, Allie x
I made the chicken nuggets tonight with couscous instead of quinoa, like you said (above post), but found the nuggets didn't have much flavour. I used 2 teaspoons of mixed herbs, as we didn't have fresh herbs. Used a quality chicken mince which wasn't salty at all, therefore not much taste. Didn't use butter, as would have found it too oily with chicken mince. The only way toddler ate it was when I spread peanut butter on it. (easy satay sauce :) Any suggestions? Have you tried cheese through the mince instead of in the bread crumbs?
ReplyDeleteHi there,
DeleteI am sorry to hear you didn't think these had much flavour. Most of the feedback has been that they worked out pretty well. I have had a few people say they pan fried them in a little olive oil, which helps make them extra crispy and caramelises the outside (especially if you're not using butter)
Perhaps you could use a chicken thigh finely chopped rather than mince, I often do this as they seem more flavoursome. Otherwise, experiment with herbs or add other vegetables your toddler might like? Hope that helps. Allie x
Yep, that's great. Another friend of mine suggested the thigh too. I've never used chicken mince before in cooking, so I think it was just the chicken I used. I'll let you know next time I make them. I LOVE your blog. You are so inspiring. I just wish I had more time to make all your wonderful creations. And just letting you know, when I was cooking the chicken nuggets I was holding a baby in the other arm for most of it. And smiled as I really was a onehandedcook!!
ReplyDeleteI am always smiling to myself as I master my one handed cooking skills. More and more people are contacting me saying they are cooking one handed ;) there are many of us doing it! Thanks for the comment :) Ax
DeleteI was wondering if you ever tried freezing these and reheating them. I have one small child and think the batch may be too big to eat in one or two days and thought it might be a good thing to have to freeze and heat up. Thoughts?
ReplyDeleteHi Nicole, I have tried freezing them and reheating, they weren't as crispy but still nice. The best way would be to freeze them raw, covered, on a tray then transfer to a freezer proof bag to store. Please come and join us at the new blog www.onehandedcooks.com.au for new recipes. Cheers, A x
Delete