Sunday, July 29, 2012

baby & toddler food: lamb (or beef) veggie and rice


Harrys all-time favourite meal is my Lamb Veggie and Rice. Six months on he still loves it, only the consistency has changed. Lately I have been mixing it up using a few other seasonal veggies and this combination has been working really well. 

Definitely worth a try if you haven't already. 

Ingredients
(Makes 12 large serves) 

2 cups cooked rice (I use brown) 
500g lamb or beef, diced into small chunks 
1 small tin creamed corn 
1/2 brown onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup peas 
1 large sweet potato, peeled, chopped 
1 large parsnip, peeled, chopped 
1/2 cup broccoli florets 
1/2 cup button mushrooms, chopped 
2 cups vegetable stock 
1 tbs olive oil 

Method

1/ Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Saute the onions until clear. Add the chopped lamb and brown all over

2/ Add the sweet potato, parsnip and stock, cover and leave for 5 minutes or until sweet potato is soft. Add the broccoli, mushrooms, corn and peas, cook for a further 5 minutes - or until the vegies are tender

3/ Blend mixture until you have desired consistency. Stir through the cooked rice. Serve fresh and freeze remaining in small portions


4 comments:

  1. This looks great...am going to try it out on my 2 yr old twins! Just love all your recipes...wish mine ate as well as your little one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Jode. I hope your twins enjoy the lamb :) x

      Delete
  2. Do you make your own stock? I find all the prepackaged ones have SO much salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rochelle,
      Yes I make my own chicken and veggie stocks. If I have to buy I get the organic salt reduced ones, Thomas Dux have a good range. But making your own is so easy and you can make a heap of it. I have a few recipes up if you need one, or please share if you have a good one!
      Ax

      Delete