Sunday, December 4, 2011

lactation cookies


My mothers group uses this Lactation Cookie recipe all the time. I have made it once, and it did seem to increase my supply. Funnily enough, Henry wouldn't touch them, because he actually thought they were made WITH breast milk. No need to correct him really.. more for me. 

Lactation Cookies

Ingredients 
(Makes 30 large cookies)

1 cup butter or marg
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flaxseed/linseed meal (can be found at any local health food store)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats, thick cut if possible
1 cup or more chocolate chips/sultanas/almonds, I go the choc chips and I double the quantity, obviously
2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast 

Method 

1/ Preheat oven at 180 and mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes 

2/ Cream (beat well) butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well

3/ Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the butter mix. Beat until blended

4/ Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats then choc chips

5/ Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, leave a few cms between each dollop of dough as these speed quite a bit

6/ Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.




















Note: You may have heard that black beers like stout are good for your milk supply. What is actually happening is that the alcohol stops the milk flowing as freely. Milk stays in the breasts, giving the false impression that the breasts are making more milk (Australian Breastfeeding Association, 2011). I am not sure if this is the same with the Brewers Yeast in this recipe. But I have heard the flaxseed, and oats are key to boosting supply too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment