Wednesday, August 8, 2012

party food: florentines

I was meandering past a cafe earlier in the week when a big gleaming florentine caught my eye. I don't usually go for them, but my sweet tooth is out of control at the moment. Harry was tugging at my arm wanting in on the action, but I wasn't sure. So I thought I'd have a crack at making them, I have been experimenting over the past few days and come up with the healthiest-yet-still-edible version I can. 

Harry wasn't too fussed, but I was - they would be a great healthy snack for a party, or a school lunchbox surprise. 

Ingredients 
Makes 10 small florentines 

  • 1 cup cornflakes (gluten free, low salt) 
  • 1 tablespoon flour (gluten free plain 
  • 3/4 cup mixed dried fruit, finely chopped (I used dates, raisins, gojis) 
  • 3 tbs shredded coconut 
  • 3 tbs raw honey 
  • 3 tbs skim condensed milk 
  • 2 tbs flaked almonds (optional) 
  • 50g dark chocolate, or carob (optional) 

Tip: I have tried to keep these as healthy as possible. In theory florentines seem good for you but they can be full of things children shouldn't be eating. If you don't want to use condensed milk, substitute for organic maple syrup. 

Method 

1/ Pre-heat the oven to 180oC. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Use the back of a spoon to slightly crush the cornflakes.

2/ Dollop tablespoons full of mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper. Flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 7 - 10 minutes (watch them as they will burn if left any longer). Once golden, remove from the oven to cool. 

3/ In the meantime melt the chocolate or carob in a heatproof bowl over boiling water. Pour the chocolate into a piping bag or just use a glad bag and snip the corner. Drizzle the chocolate over each florentine. 











No comments:

Post a Comment