Tuesday, August 14, 2012

baby & toddler food: roly poly salmon (with quinoa and veggies)

Harry seems to have gone off fish. He normally loves it so I am feeling a little frazzled. I guess it means more fishy experimentation is happening this week? I had some leftover quinoa and veggie mash, so decided to add the salmon to it. I like it, but I can't call it a win until I see Harry eat them for dinner tonight. We shall see, we shall see.

The addition of quinoa makes these incredibly nutritious - if you don't have any quinoa (see here why you should get some), then just leave it out or add a cup of cooked potato/rice/couscous.

Ingredients 
Makes approximately 10 - 12 balls 

1/2 cup water 
1/4 cup quinoa (white grain) 
2 cups approx. of peeled and diced raw vegetables*
1 tbs chopped fresh herbs i.e. chives, parsley, basil (optional) 
1 small 95g tin of salmon (or poached fresh salmon)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp fish sauce (optional)

*This recipe is flexible for you to try whatever vegetables your baby/toddler likes - or whatever you need to get rid of. I used sweet potato, peas, carrot, creamed corn, and parsley. 

Method 

1/ In a small saucepan bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the saucepan on the hot plate for another 5 - 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool. 

3/ While the quinoa is cooking, place vegetables in boiling water (stagger if required as some veggies cook faster than others). Cook until all the vegetables are done. Drain. 

4/ Combine the lemon juice and fish sauce with the cooked vegetables and quinoa. Mash together until you have a 
smooth consistency. Add salmon and stir to combine. Roll into balls. 

5/ Serve as is, or gently pan fry for a few minutes. 

Note: If your packet of quinoa has different cooking directions it would be better to cook according to those as there are many variations.




No comments:

Post a Comment