Tuesday, August 21, 2012

family food: pulled portuguese chicken burgers

I am mainly blogging this because it looks really pretty, but also because it was really delicious, we ate it two nights in a row. I would never normally go for this type of thing but I got my inspiration from this recipe - except for the whole making your own bread thing. And also I am not a fan of chilli, so I did have to change the recipe a bit. 

I have made it child friendly, Harry ate a deconstructed version and was happy as can be. Do be careful with the cabbage though, I needed to boil it to soften as it is very sticky-outy and choky when raw. 


Ingredients 
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbs tomato puree 
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
4 tbs vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1 tsp yellow mild mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional - I only added this once I removed Harry's portion) 
1 tsp smoked paprika
500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbs plain greek yogurt

4 adult served 2 toddler serves 
1/2 red capsicum, seeds removed, finely chopped 
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup water 
Slaw 
1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced 
1 tbs lime juice 

Method 

1/ In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook for around 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.

2/ Add in the tomato puree, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and paprika (add the chilli here if you are only cooking for adults). Cook for about 5 minutes, or until mixture has thickened slightly. Add in the chicken thighs, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for an hour to an hour and a half, or until chicken is completely cooked and tender.

3/ Remove from heat. The chicken should be very tender,  using 2 forks, inside the pot, pull the chicken apart. Allow the chicken to sit in the sauce for a while to absorb all the flavour, about 1/2 hour. Reheat before serving. 

4/ (Slaw) In a medium bowl, combine the greek yogurt and lime juice (and salt and pepper for the adults). Add in the shredded cabbage and toss to coat just prior to serving.

5/ Assemble the burger with the slaw on the bottom and chicken on top. 

For Harry, I boiled the cabbage for a few minutes to soften, then finely chopped with the chicken. I served it with some bread slices to mop up the juices. 






No comments:

Post a Comment