Wednesday, November 30, 2011

penang chicken curry

My friend Tass said the magic word the other night "Penang". 45 minutes later I was cracking open a plastic take away container and nom nom nom-ing to my hearts content. Penang is a classic, and as I have now discovered, surprisingly easy to make.

Unless you cook Thai all the time you will have to make a special effort to buy a few of these ingredients. But it will be worth it, because once you taste this you will make it a lot.

Update: I made this again and I have decided it lacks some sweetness. I am trying to figure out a way to make it sweeter as I find it a little bland.

Ingredients 

Red Curry Paste

1 red onion, thickly sliced
10g galangal, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1tsp chilli powder
2 coriander (cilantro) roots, washed well (but I just used the jar spice)
1 tsp shrimp paste
3tbs peanuts, toasted

800g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
400ml tinned coconut cream
Handful of coriander leaves to garnish
Sliced red chilli to garnish

Method


1/ place all the paste ingredients in a food processor (or mortar and pestle) and blend until smooth

2/ Trim the chicken of any fat and chop into 2cm pieces and put in a large bowl

3/ Add the red curry paste and mix well to coat the chicken

4/ Put the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 hours, then add the coconut cream and cook for a further 1 hour

5/ Ladle the curry into bowls and garnish with coriander and chilli

6/ Serve with boiled rice





































Adapted from Slow Cooking Bay Books 

No comments:

Post a Comment