Wednesday, June 13, 2012

baby & toddler finger food: lamb and veggie couscous fingers

OK, this is the last of the leftovers. I attempted a couscous slice, and I think it turned out really well. I have done two versions, one has egg, cheese and flour, the other doesn't.

From now on I will try and include as many allergy alternative options as possible, for all those amazing mums who have that little extra thing to think about each day, I hope this helps x

Ingredients 

1 tbs olive oil 
250g lamb steak, diced  
1 clove garlic, crushed 
1/4 cup capsicum, seeds removed, sliced 
1 tomato, diced 
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, cubed 
1/2 cup broccoli florets 
1/2 cup zucchini, diced 
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup couscous 
1 tbs parsley, chopped

Options:
1 egg
2 tbs flour
1 cup cheese, grated 

Method

1/ Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute. Add the diced lamb and fry for a few minutes to brown the outside

2/ Add the tomato and capsicum and cook for a few minutes until soft. Add the sweet potato, broccoli and cover - simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally

3/ Once mixture has softened, add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender and the lamb is cooked through. Leave to cool. Once cool, puree until you have a semi liquid consistency

4/ Return to the stove and heat puree mixture until boiling. Add the couscous, turn off the heat, cover. Leave this to stand for 3-5 minutes until the couscous has absorbed all the liquid and is soft. Stir through the parsley

5a/ Heat oven to 180 degrees. Stir through egg, 1/2 the cheese and flour. Push couscous mixture into a square baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 25-35minutes or until cheese is golden. Leave to cool and cut into fingers to freeze

OR

5b/ Shape into patties and lightly fry for a few minutes either side






2 comments:

  1. After a bit of feedback I think the patties are the better of the two. I hope your babies are enjoying them. Allie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something similar to this the other day when I was feeling lazy - a jar of baby food, egg and quinoa. I tried it with couscous too but my bubba liked the quinoa better. Always love easy fingerfood!

    ReplyDelete